Fetchmail: Error message in maillog

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sat Nov 4 22:37:00 UTC 2006

On Saturday 04 November 2006 17:03, Robert Huff wrote:

> Gerard Seibert writes:
> >  > The command ``lsof -n -i :25 | grep LISTEN'' should show any
> > processes > listening on port 25 (SMTP)
> >
> >  The first command produced absolutely nothing.
>
>         For comparison:
>
> huff@>> /usr/local/sbin/lsof -n -i :25
> COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
> sendmail 1164 root    3u  IPv4 0xc2bbd740      0t0  TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)
> sendmail 1164 root    5u  IPv6 0xc2bbd570      0t0  TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)
>
>         Are you _sure_ something is attached to port 25?

Sorry, I must have had a brain fart before. This is the actual output:

~ # /usr/local/sbin/lsof -n -i :25
COMMAND PID USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
master  716 root   11u  IPv4 0xc2ef1ae0      0t0  TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)

Those error messages by fetchmail appear to be random. I have not seen one
now in over four hours and that is with a modest volume of mail. I really
believe it is solely related to the version update. If I could track it
down more precisely, I might be able to report the problem to the fetchmail
group.

--
Gerard
gerard at seibercom.net

Thyme's Law: Everything goes wrong at once.