subversion on boot

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Fri Nov 3 18:32:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 02:49:54PM +0100, pobox at verysmall.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what is the best way to launch subversion (svnserve) on boot?
>
> So far I did not find out something that can be put in /etc/rc.conf.

Apart from the very good suggestions already made, you might like to
consider using SSH to automatically invoke an instance of the subversion
server each time one of your developers needs to do something on the
repository.  This gives you the benefit of having your sessions encrypted on
the wire, and allows you to use an existing user base. It also means, like
starting svnserve from inetd, that you don't need to worry about explicitly
starting it or having a largely quiescent daemon hanging around. (This
latter point very much depends on the level of activity you expect to see
on your server, of course).

It takes a little more work to get it working smoothly, but I find it a
very handy way of going about it.

The excellent Subversion book has much more information.  Chapter 6 will
probably be of interest.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/index.html

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key: http://www.slightlystrange.org/pgpkey-dan.asc
PGP Key fingerprint: D349 B109 0EB8 2554 4D75  B79A 8B17 F97C 1622 166A