snd_hda driver for 6.1 now working

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 3 06:22:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 04:24:27 +0200
Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 2006-11-02 23:22, Sergio Lenzi <enigma at k1.com.br> wrote:
> > Hello all
> >
> > after trying to set up the sound on the 6.1 RELEASE  on a acer
> > aspire 3100 notebook, I realise that the driver for the sound chip
> > was the HDA (high definition audio)
> >
> > That notebook use a realtek version of the sound ship.
> >
> > The code I get in the internet does not compile in the 6.1-RELEASE
> > it complains about some missing entry points in the sound.ko
> > module (that exists in the -current kernel).

Sergio, sorry, but you missed the [HEADS UP], and did it all wrong.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2006-September/004864.html

http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/HDA/

or even better, http://people.freebsd.org/snd_RELENG_6*.diff.gz, or if
you comfortable with binary module,
http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/lowlatency/

> > I do not want to to use the CURRENT so I fixed the code to work
> > with the 6.1-RELEASE..    the main problem was the distorted sound
> > it produces The problem was that the realtek chip was not able to
> > make dma larger than 4096 bytes long   a small fix in the hdac.c
> > code did the trick....

It is not because of the chip cannot do DMA larger than 4k. It is
because your hardware combination. Smaller DMA means higher interrupt
rate, and your chip need to compete with other peripherals to combat
with that. All this can be solved by just using
"hint.pcm.0.buffersize=4096" without any single driver source tweak.
Note that you probably don't even need this tunable hint if you using
the above "lowlatency" (which itself need another HEADS UP)
patch/module.

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........