vhost does not work Apache2.2

Peter A. Giessel pgiessel at mac.com
Thu Nov 2 22:24:13 UTC 2006

On 2006/11/02 13:00, Wasp King seems to have typed:
> I did a clean install of FreeBSD 6.1 (from CD), then
> installed Apache2.2 using ports. Apache works fine if
> I donot change anything in the config files (all it
> says is "it works!")...however,
>
> 1). if I change the line
> DocumentRoot "/usr/local/www/apache22/data"
> to DocumentRoot "/usr/home/user1/www" (and disable the
> above line with # in front of cours), then it shows
> the message
>
> "Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access / on this server."
> this is despite the dirs has the right permissions.

Did you change the first
<Directory >
directive to also be document root?  In my httpd.conf, this is around
line 175, and it says:
#
# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
<Directory "something">

> 2). I can move all the contents under /user1/www to
> /usr/local/www/apache22/data and then it works
> fine...howver, if I enable the vhosts, by activating
> the line in httpd.conf:
>
> Include etc/apache22/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf
>
> then I get the same error!

Did you make any entries in the httpd-vhosts.conf file?  Are any of
the <VirtualHost *:80> directives uncommented?