Raid over NFS

Tom Judge tom at tomjudge.com
Thu Nov 2 15:55:42 UTC 2006

aymeric.muntz at free.fr wrote:
> hi list!
>
> I am actually seachring a solution for doing raid over NFS.
> My need is to have 2 mail servers sharing the same storage.
> For redundancy reason, I would like to have a duplicate partition (one on each
> server accessible by NFS) and do a software RAID (mirroring) on the other.
>
> Is there a well known and stable solution?
> It looks like vinum is not able to do that.
>
> I appreciate any return.
>
> Thanks
>
> Aymeric

We have just set up something very similar, using ggate and gmirror.
one box mounts the mirrored volume directly while the other mounts it
via nfs.  If the master box fails then the secondry box can mount the
file system directly.

I used the following as a basis for the configuration and am adding in a
heartbeat system so that the backup server can automatically take over
from the master.

http://www.phunsites.net/wp/2006/08/11/realtime-file-system-replication-on-freebsd/

Tom