About "how the GUI should look like after installation!"

Joerg Pernfuss elessar at bsdforen.de
Thu Nov 2 04:18:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 20:43:49 -0600
"illoai at gmail.com" <illoai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/1/06, Joerg Pernfuss <elessar at bsdforen.de> wrote:
>
> > > I logged in and typed
> > > 'startx' to start the gui (that's what I should do! right!).
> > > Consequently, it'd been loaded. I am just seeing four comand
> > > shells. That's all I can see! No taskbars! No background picture
> > > (greying grinded dots: like pixels in a low definition image).
> > > There're just four squared box (shell).
>
> > You need to install a window manager.
>
> twm(1) idn't good enough for you?
>
> evilwm
> blackbox
> e16 (or whatever they have changed the name too this week)
> aewm
>
> are all fairly degenerate wastes of memory.
>
> But it will not do much good unless you
> have also bothered to install browsers and such.

I overlooked the 'four squared boxes' part. Apart from that, he
obviously isn't pleased with the installed one. So, he should
install something else.

Which one is up to him, I won't recommend.

--
| /"\   ASCII ribbon   |  GnuPG Key ID | e86d b753 3deb e749 6c3a |
| \ / campaign against |    0xbbcaad24 | 5706 1f7d 6cfd bbca ad24 |