audio playback glitches while using CD drive

Mac Newbold mac at macnewbold.com
Tue May 30 17:01:21 PDT 2006

Today at 7:48pm, Andy Reitz said:

> This doesn't sound like a FreeBSD problem to me, but rather a problem with
> your sound card being starved for PCI resources when your IDE controller
> is being exercised.

That's a good idea. Both the sound card and the IDE controller are built
into the motherboard, if I remember right (ASUS A7V8X). Though it does
look like they're all going over PCI. I've got VIA VT8235 (Avance Logic
ALC650 AC97) for sound, and a Promise PDC20376 SATA150 controller and a
Promise PDC20270 UDMA100 controller for the hard drives, which are in a
RAID 0 mirroring configuration.

> To remedy this, you may need to play around a bit. I found a KB article at
> creative that seems to cover this topic in a general fashion:
>
> http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=173,E=0000000000127129525,K=5503,Sxi=1,Kb=ww_english_add,VARSET=ws:http://us.creative.com/,Case=obj(6516)

Thanks, I'll have to check that one out.

I guess it's good that I'm getting a new box soon, so hopefully the
problem will not be present on the new computer. At least knowing it's a
hardware issue, not something dumb I did, makes me feel better at least.

Thanks again,
Mac