Apache not building its own modules (e.g. mod_alias)

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Tue May 30 06:28:03 PDT 2006

Hello list,

I wasn't exactly thinking things out, and just posted the following
message to freebsd-ports, whereas it's probably better here. More
eyeballs in any case. So sorry if you're seeing this for the second time.

I'm having great difficulty tracking what's going wrong here. I'm trying
to build Apache 2.0 with the following:

cd /usr/ports/www/apache20
make PREFIX=/home/apache20 \
APR_UTIL_WITH_BERKELEY_DB=yes \
APR_UTIL_WITH_LDAP=yes \
WITH_MODULES="access alias auth auth_ldap headers info ldap mime proxy
proxy_connect proxy_http rewrite status ssl" \
WITH_STATIC_MODULES="access alias auth auth_ldap headers info ldap mime
proxy proxy_connect proxy_http rewrite status ssl" \

At the end of this, I get

# sbin/httpd -l
Compiled in modules:
   core.c
   mod_auth.c
   prefork.c
   http_core.c
   mod_mime.c
   mod_status.c
   mod_info.c
   mod_rewrite.c
   mod_so.c

And no mod_*.so files created either. I can build some modules
dynamically. For instance mod_access can, and I get a
libexec/apache2/mod_access.so at the end. But some things just don't get
built no matter what I try, such as mod_alias.

The lack if mod_alias, for instance, causes Redirect to go unrecognized
in the config file, and so on.

I must be doing something wrong; any clues gratefully received.

update: what I do see, grovelling around in the work/ directory is that
mod_alias and a number of other modules appear to be explicitly disabled
in configure.log and never enabled, although make show-modules show that
it has been specified as enabled. For instance:

(apache.port is just a wrapper around the above cd and make)

  ~/apache.port show-modules | grep enabled | sort -u
access: enabled (static)
alias: enabled (static)
auth: enabled (static)
auth_ldap: enabled (static)
headers: enabled (static)
info: enabled (static)
ldap: enabled (static)
mime: enabled (static)
proxy: enabled (static)
proxy_connect: enabled (static)
proxy_http: enabled (static)
rewrite: enabled (static)
ssl: enabled (static)
status: enabled (static)

Thanks,
David

--
Much of the propaganda that passes for news in our own society is given
to immobilising and pacifying people and diverting them from the idea