Sharing /usr/local/www

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Mon May 29 22:36:21 PDT 2006

* Kyrre Nygard <kyrreny at broadpark.no> [2006-05-27 11:12:19 +0200]:
> > > I have a team of designers working on web 2.0 like sites.
> > >
> > > I have added them all to this box, now I'm wondering what's the
> > > most convenient way of giving them all access to /usr/local/www?
>
> > CVS is your friend.
>
> Yeah I hear a lot of people like CVS.
>
> But I fail to realize how it might assist me though.

Kyrre,

CVS is a version control tool. A version control tool manages changes to
information, sometimes among multiple people.

It sounds like to me like you really need a version control tool for
what you want to do. CVS is a good choice for this, Subversion is
better.

Yes, there might be scripts that accomplish this, but most (good)
version control tools will:

    - allow you to manage changes to data over time

    - remember every change ever made to your data, allowing you to
      recover older versions, or see the history of how it changed

    - allow access across networks, which allows it to be used by people
      on different computers

    - give you the ability for various people to modify and manage (i.e.
      collaborate on) the same set of data from their respective
      locations

(The above was paraphrased from "Version Control with Subversion", by
Collins-Sussman, Fitzpatrick, and Pilato, v1.2, Ch 1.)

You will run into this problem over and over again. Do yourself a favor
and learn how to use a good version control system now, or else you will
find yourself doomed to reinvent it, poorly. (Apologies to H. Spencer.)

Thomas

--
N.J. Thomas
njt at ayvali.org