phpMyAdmin problem - no Edit/Delete on Browse

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sun May 28 08:47:23 PDT 2006

On Sun, 28 May 2006, Matthew Seaman wrote:

 > Ian Smith wrote:
 > > running 5.4-RELEASE and installed phpMyAdmin 2.6.1.3 with pkg_add -r
[..]
 > >  mysql-client-4.1.10a Multithreaded SQL database (client)
 > >  mysql-server-4.1.10a Multithreaded SQL database (server)
 > >  php4-4.3.10_2       PHP Scripting Language (Apache Module and CLI)
 > >  phpMyAdmin-2.6.1.3  A set of PHP-scripts to manage MySQL over the web
[..]
 > > phpmyadmin basically works fine.  I'd imported my databases from dumps,
 > > and all looked good after a bit of configuration.  However when starting
 > > to do some real work on a couple of databases, I noticed that while
 > > browsing any database, the Edit and Delete options do not appear with
 > > each row, ie I can not update existing records (even as -u root)
 > >
 > > I'd suspected permissions, but I can insert new records, add/drop/empty
 > > tables and databases, bookmark queries and all.  The permissions and
 > > ownership of and in /var/db/mysql are the same as my old 4.5-R system.
 > >
 > > $cfg['ModifyDeleteAtLeft'] = TRUE; I've also tried adding ...AtRight as
 > > well, but neither show up.  If relevant, I'm using apache-1.3.33_1 and
 > > mozilla-1.7.7,2 .. all of this is just running on the local machine, so
 > > I'm not at the moment concerned with just security-issue updates.
[..]

 > What is the UID *within* MySQL you are using to connect with?  Does
 > running:
 >
 >     SHOW GRANTS FOR `user`@`hostname` ;
 >
 > make things any clearer?

Nope.  Show processlist confirms that I'm logged in as root at localhost,
with an idle pma at localhost process as well for bookmarks etc.

 SHOW GRANTS FOR `root`@`localhost`;

 GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD
 '*A5------------obscured------------4C2EFF' WITH GRANT OPTION

 > phpMyAdmin is clever enough to modify its user interface according to what
 > the user has permission to do to the database.  The user name use within the
 > database depends on how you've configured phpMyAdmin -- I generally like to
 > use 'cookie' mode authentication where the username and password are passed
 > straight through to MySQL from the login dialog, but the 'config' mode given
 > in the example config files requires you to put the username and password
 > directly in the phpMyAdmin configuration file.

Just using 'config' mode, user root so far; thought I'd tighten it up
properly for outside access after getting it doing some useful work!

Think I'll start again with the installed config.  I really can't recall
if this problem was there since installation, but as mentioned all other
import/export, create/drop/copy database/table, adding rows etc all just
works well so far, excepting edit/delete availability on browse.

Thanks Matthew,

cheers, Ian