OT: Torn between SCSI and SATA for RAID

Ian Jefferson ijeff at sandbox.ca
Sun May 28 02:23:28 PDT 2006

> I'd rather run 5 SATA cables then one SCSI cable (say 68pin) with
> multiple heads...   The darn SCSI cables are so thick,
> comparatively, that running them in your case is a lot harder :-)

Well everyone's mileage may vary.  Parallel cables only work nicely
when you have a stack of drives all close & lined up together.  I
personally yearn for a simple 40gbps daisychainable serial bus.  I
hoped firewire would have been it but we seem to be stuck at 800mpbs.

The other cabling option I forgot about is USB2 or Firewire.

There are a number of very low cost external cases that pre-package
USB/Firewire SATA converters.  You basically fill a hard disk case
with SATA or ATA drives and connect your computer to the case via a
single firewire or USB cable.  I have not seen one of these that's
hot swap yet but I did see a few of these recently in Tokyo Akihabara
district for ~$100 so I assume they are available all over.  The
box's I have seen are 4 drive systems.  Just fill them with your
favorite commodity hard disk I guess.

At ~50MB/s the interface is plenty fast and greatly simplifies the
cable issue inside the PC.

IJ