Intel Mac experiences

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat May 27 01:43:40 PDT 2006

Because from a user's perspective of running and building software they
are the same.

Sure, you can't do the equivalent of a buildworld, but OS X is a
commercial
system they don't supply source code with.  So, all of the utilities and
scripts that FreeBSD has for managing the source to the operating system
are of course not going to be present if the source for the system isn't
supplied.

As for performance comparisons, anyone buying an Intel Mac isn't
looking for peak performance.  If they really were looking for peak
performance out of consumer-level gear they would get the fastest
Wintel motherboard and overclock it and run FreeBSD on it.  They
wouldn't be buying a Mac, or a HP, or a Dell, or any of those since
those companies don't manufacture bleeding-edge systems.

Ted