Problems booting operating system and with root password

Adrian Pavone wingot at eftel.com
Fri May 26 14:47:21 PDT 2006

Atom Powers wrote:
> On 5/26/06, Miguel <mmiranda at 123.com.sv> wrote:

>> encrypted
>> >>

>> > If you are in wheel, then you should be able to "sudo su" to switch to
>> > the root account and then "passwd root" to reset the password.
>> >
>> :-(
>> No luck, this is the error
>>
>>  > sudo su
>>
>> We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
>> Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:
>>
>>     #1) Respect the privacy of others.
>>     #2) Think before you type.
>>     #3) With great power comes great responsibility.
>>
>> Password:
>> mmiranda is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
>>  > sudo su
>> mmiranda is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
>>  > passwd root
>> passwd: permission denied
>>  >

>> I entered my account's password...
>>
>> Anything more?
>>

> Yes. Check your man pages; the format of the sudoers file is very specific.
> Usually you can get away with a line like this:
> --
> %wheel    ALL=(ALL)    ALL
> --

Altough can't only root modify (write changes to) the sudoers file? As
he is trying to get access to root (without a root password), this is
not possible from what I can see.

Regards,
Adrian

- --
This email address has expired. Please contact me for my new address.

Please obtain my pgp public key from pgp.mit.edu before sending me any
private mail, otherwise your email will likely be filtered incorrectly
and possibly junked.