burncd fails: Input output error

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu May 25 17:18:59 PDT 2006

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Lars Stokholm wrote:

> For testing purpose I'm trying to remake and burn the FreeBSD 6.1 CD
> #1 iso image. I've put the CD in drive 0 (acd0) and:
>
> # dd if=/dev/acd0 of=freebsd.iso bs=2k
>
> Next I want to burn the image on a CD-R, but it fails. I'm using the
> -t option now, since I've already wasted a CD on an Ubuntu image:
>
> # burncd -s 16 -tvf /dev/acd1 data freebsd.iso fixate
                            ^^^^
Is that a typo or is your writer a different drive?  Multiple drives on
an IDE cable seem to cause problems for some people.

> adding type 0x08 file freebsd.iso size 517364 KB 258682 blocks
> next writeable LBA 0
> addr = 0 size = 529780736 blocks = 258682
> writing from file freebsd.iso size 517364 KB
> written this track 832 KB (0%) total 832 KB
> Input/output error

Have you tried a new CD?  Every now and then I'll get an error, but
"fixate" always seems to write something to the CD, so it's a goner.
Maybe not with -t, but an earlier attempt?  Try a fresh blank.  And also
try burning at a slower speed, like 8x.