Disk Geometry Errors.

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Thu May 25 07:19:43 PDT 2006

From: "Jerry McAllister" <jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu>

>> One thing that comes to mind, as I read below, is that it appears you
>> setup the drives for RAID 1. Then you transplanted to them to a RAID 5
>> controller. "Of course" the partition data will be wrong. The hidden
>> blocks the two RAID controllers use are probably different and the
>> method of storage for RAID 5 is quite different from that used by RAID 1.
>>
>> (Worse yet, you may have managed to hose the drives so that any data
>> on them is gone.)
>>
>> {^_^}   Joanne

That is the lecture I was getting ready to deliver when I noticed
RAID 5 and RAID 1 with different controllers. RAID 5 and RAID 1 are
not compatible. And there is a good chance that two different breeds
of RAID firmware would store meta data for disk format differently.

{^_-}   (Heck, I have seen two Promise cards that store it differently
        or seemed to.)