Disk Geometry Errors.

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Thu May 25 06:57:44 PDT 2006

> One thing that comes to mind, as I read below, is that it appears you
> setup the drives for RAID 1. Then you transplanted to them to a RAID 5
> controller. "Of course" the partition data will be wrong. The hidden
> blocks the two RAID controllers use are probably different and the
> method of storage for RAID 5 is quite different from that used by RAID 1.
>
> (Worse yet, you may have managed to hose the drives so that any data
> on them is gone.)
>
> {^_^}   Joanne

I didn't follow all of this thread, so I may be missing something, but
check the FAQs and the list archives.   Geometry error messages and
apparent (but not actual) mismatched have been discussed many times.

Nowdays disk geometry as used by the OS is generally "virtual" and does
not exactly reflect the actual physical geometry.   In other words, from
the point of view of how you use it, unless you are creating special driver
code, the geometry is fiction and, as long as it works, take what the OS
says and ignore any messages from fdisk.

Now, if it is truly failing, you have non-fictional problems.

////jerry