dd to create .iso of a cd

Mikhail Goriachev mikhailg at webanoide.org
Wed May 24 22:35:49 PDT 2006

Jonathan Horne wrote:
> i hate to ask another "back when i used linux" question, but here goes:
>
> "back when i used linux", i would create a .iso file of a cd like this:
>
> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/path/destfile.iso
>
> ... and it would just work.  made a perfect copy every time (specifically,
> of microsoft cds at the office, and each one was able to burn to a
> bootable copy of what ever it was).  well, i tried to do this in freebsd,
> but no luck.  i was able to take a .iso file, but it did not make a
> bootable disk once it was burned.  my command was the same as above, but
> added bs=2048 at the end(as per what i read in the handbook).
>
> can anyone recommend how to create a .iso image in freebsd that will
> render a bootable .iso file?  i hate to have to keep a linux box around
> the office just for the purpose of successfully creating a .iso file  :)

Hi,

This is weird because it works for me. I do:

$dd if=/dev/acd0 of=file.iso bs=2048
$burncd -f /dev/acd0 data file.iso fixate

My burnt copies boot boxen without problems. How do you burn your ISOs?

Cheers,
Mikhail.

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: mikhailg at webanoide.org
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B