upload-only ftp server

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed May 24 16:39:47 PDT 2006

--On May 24, 2006 4:32:55 PM +0200 User Gandalf <gandalf at messias.qhigh.com>
wrote:

>   Dear List,
>
> I would like to install an ftp server. Some of the users want to upload
> files to the server. I would not like to start an ftp server at all,
> because I'm too paranoid. But my users demand it. I looked at the ports
> tree and I found many ftp servers. I cannot choose between them. Can you
> recommend one for me? I only need one ftp user (possibly with a
> password), and upload/list files only. The most important thing is
> security, and the ability to handle passive transfers.

Is there a reason they can't use sftp?  You're most likely already running
sshd, which means you already have sftp capabilities builtin.  If the issue
is usability, there are a number of gui clients available for all platforms
(WinSCP for Windows, for example) that make the process painless.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/