Can drive with 6.1 be directly transferred from one machine to another?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed May 24 09:23:49 PDT 2006

    Ok, so the back story is that something hardware-related in my older
machine fileserver died, all the info's on a series of SCSI disks, and
my other desktop doesn't support SCSI, nor does it have the space for
the drives/card (yay for dell), thus I need to either buy replacement
parts or buy a new machine (I'm weighing the pros and cons right now).
    So I was wondering if my disk with all of the compiled binaries for
my 1.2 GHz could simply be moved from one machine to another and just
work without having to reinstall or recompile FreeBSD or not. I would
think that I could just move the drive to another machine and boot from
it, given the fact that Intel loves making their instruction sets
backwards compatible, but I just need to make sure since I don't want to
invest in something more expensive and discover I have to start from
square one.
    Overall, time is of more value to me right now than anything else.
    Thanks,
-Garrett