Python port problems

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue May 23 09:43:31 PDT 2006

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> writes:
>

>>$ python -c 'import sys; print sys.path'
>>['', '/usr/local/lib/python24.zip', '/usr/local/lib/python2.4', '/usr/
>>local/lib/python2.4/plat-freebsd5', '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-
>>tk', '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload', '/usr/local/lib/
>>python2.4/site-packages']
>>

>>I don't have a /usr/local/bin/python in there. Is that my problem?
>>

>That's where the ports would install it, so that does sound like a
>problem.   Look at "which python" and "pkg_info|grep python".

The executable /usr/local/bin/python has no business being in the path
for *modules*.  This is not your problem.

I have never used mailman so do not know how it picks up its modules.
It *might* install them into one of these directories on the module
patch, but more likely it just pushes its own directory of modules onto
this path when it runs, in which case the output you have won't help.

Have you tried simply re-installing mailman?  Maybe you upgraded python
at some point after installing mailman and that is throwing something.

--Alex