NFS over IPSec tunnel

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Mon May 22 15:51:56 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 22, 2006, Bret J Esquivel wrote:
>I am trying to connect to a NFS server over my IPSec tunnel. However,
>I whenever I  try to mount I get:
>
>[udp] 10.0.20.1:/usr: RPCPROG_MNT: RPC: Timed out

The first things I would check are (a) the /etc/exports file on
the server, and (b) specify a tcp connection on the client as
that should create a connection between the machines.

I ran into a problem a couple of years ago while attempting to
automount home directories hosted on a Linux box from Macs
running OS X.  The Linux box had multiple IP addresses on the NIC
interface, and the udp reply packets were being sent from an IP
different than the one receiving the udp.  Specifying tcp
connections cured that problem.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software, LLC

``If the government can take a man's money without his consent, there is no
limit to the additional tyranny it may practise upon him; for, with his
money, it can hire soldiers to stand over him, keep him in subjection,
plunder him at discretion, and kill him if he resists.''
	Lysander Spooner, 1852