system freezes.

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Mon May 22 14:19:27 PDT 2006

Since you say the hardware is all replaced, you should still run hardware
diagnostics to verify the new hardware is not also problematic.

Also the version of FreeBSD you are running is quite old and beyond its end
of life.  I would at least update the base OS to 4.11.

A freeze like you are seeing is most likely a hardware problem as you see
nothing in the logs, but could be from an exploit of some kind.

         -Derek

At 10:56 AM 5/22/2006, Brent Rieck wrote:
>Hello,
>   I've been having some freeze problems with my "managed" freebsd server
>that my host has been less than helpful with; I hope that this is the
>right place to ask the questions I have.
>
>os: freebsd 4.8-stable
>major applications: apache 1.3.29 + php 4.3.10 , mysql 4.1.18-log,
>dirvish, riff-backup
>
>   Machine freezes with nothing written to the logs or console - if you
>happen to be logged in and running top when it "starts" to freeze your
>top session will run completely normally and without lag (spacebar
>refreshes display, you can resort on size or cpu, etc), but no other
>processes can start - typing a command into another open shell will not
>start that program.  Until it fully freezes it will echo characters back
>in the shell - and top will continue to run as normal.  Top always shows
>a load of <0.1, there's always 5MB to 50MB of ram free.
>
>   All of the hardware has been replaced (motherboard, cpu, ram, power
>supply, hard drive)
>
>   I can't make it freeze on demand by replaying the web hits or database
>queries that occurred before the crash.
>
>   I am able to make it freeze on demand by slurping down a particular
>dirvish vault with rsync.  The freeze symptoms are the same as the
>random freeze symptoms (top responds normally, new processes can't start)
>
>   The random freezes occur whether or not I'm running dirvish on a schedule.
>
>   The rsync freezing I can work around if needed, the random freezes I
>cannot.  Does anybody have any suggestions on how I might track down the
>problem?
>
>thanks,
>Brent

>--