MESS

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon May 22 07:09:41 PDT 2006

> Jerry McAllister wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >>   if i enter single user mode it dasen't seem to recognize many commands:
> >> starrtx, ee, pico, emacs etc so i cannot change my /etc/fstab in case this
> >> is the problem.
> >
> > Yes.   Generally none of those extra things are availiable in single user.
> > Single user is minimal and does not have services started nor anything
> > but root mounted and root is mounted in a special non-write way.
> >
> > You need to learn enough 'vi' editor to fix problems in these types
> > of situations because generally vi will be available even when the
> > others are not usable.
>
> Whoops!  Are you sure about that last statement?
>
> [admin at foobar][~]
> whereis vi
> vi: /usr/bin/vi /usr/share/man/man1/vi.1.gz /usr/src/usr.bin/vi

Yup.   It is in /usr/bin
I guess, I am so used to putting a copy of vi in /bin shortly after
installing a new system that I assume it is always there.

Anyway, in this poster's situation it should be possible to also
do:

  fsck -p /usr
  mount /usr

in addition to the other things mentioned and then 'vi' and some
of the others would be available - but not things that need services
running.

////jerry