MESS

Jon Mercer jon.mercer at achean.com
Mon May 22 03:21:43 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 22, 2006 10:02, none none wrote:
> Hi
>   I fear that this time a messed up big time. I have two hard drives one
> with Windows XP (40G) and another with FreeBSD 6.1  (10G). Eveything was
> ok until I decided i wanted to mount my windows drive to FreBSD (i run
> KDE as GUI). I followed the instruction from OnLamp.com and since i
> wanted the whole process to be automated on every boot i added the
> following lines in /etc/fstab using ee:
>   /dev/ad0s1  /windows        ntfs   rw       1     1
>
>   and everything looked normal until i rebooted! now when i choose FreeBSD
> on the bootmanager it starts looking ok and ends up with the following:
>   fsck: exec fsck-ntfs for /dev/ad0s1 in /sbin:/usr/sbin: No such file or
> directory
>   Unknown error: help!
>   init /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormaly, going to single user mode
>   Enter full pathname of shell of RETURN for /bin/sh
>
>   if i enter single user mode it dasen't seem to recognize many commands:
> starrtx, ee, pico, emacs etc so i cannot change my /etc/fstab in case
> this is the problem.
>
>   Moreover now i am unable to enter windows as the bootmanager when i ask
> him to load the DOS disk it just reboots the system. I even tried to
> leave only the (40G) on the machine but thens it just crashes right
> after memeory check. I am seriously in need for some help, if anyone
> could suggest anything i would appreciate it a lot. Thanks in advance
>   andreas Sotriakopoulos

When you drop down to single user mode you only mount the root partition,
so most of those commands will not be available.

You can use mount -a to mount all the filesystems, but as you know you
ought to fsck all the filesystems you intend to mount before mounting
them. You would be better off fsck'ing the device containing the /usr
filesystem and mounting only that to get your editor up to change fstab.

Hope that helps,

Jon