Profile Libraries

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat May 20 17:26:57 PDT 2006

Gerard Seibert wrote:
> This is probably a dumb question, but what are 'profile libraries'?
> There is the option to use either -NO_PROFILE while building a port, or
> putting it in the make.conf file as NO_PROFILE= true, so I assume it
> does something. If these libraries are not required, why are they built
> by default anyway?

See "man gprof" for details.  Basicly, the libraries contain code which
is instrumented so that you can figure out things like where the program
is spending CPU time and what the call graph looks like.  These are used
by developers for performance tuning only, and are not needed for
production systems which are not running test/debug code...

--
-Chuck