Software taking a long time to load on FreeBSD6

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Sat May 20 09:17:46 PDT 2006

On Fri, 19 May 2006 21:21:19 -0600
"Levi Campbell" <levicc00123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why is it that some applications like x11, ratpoison, and firefox come up
> instantly while applications like xmms, emacs and thunderbird take about
> five minutes to load? I've tried several things to try and fix this.
>

>    - I've deinstalled packages to see if ports was any better and vice
>    versa.
>    - I've cleaned out /tmp, /var/tmp, and /var/lock and checked free
>    space.
>    - getting the vanilla sources from the origional FTP site and
>    compiling them
>
> I've tried everything I can think of and I'm wondering, why is this
> happening and what can I do to fix it? Thanks for your time and
> consideration.

Have you tried manually starting the slow processes under ktrace and
having a look to see what's taking so long?

ktrace output can be a little cryptic, but you don't have to understand
all of it, and you can always post the relevent parts to the list and
ask for help.  Start the process with ktrace enabled, if it seems to
"hang" for a while, stop the ktrace and the end part should give some
indication of what the holdup is.  If the process just takes a long time,
it'll require some more work to diagnose what's takin so long.

HTH

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies