A really really weird problem with FreeBSD 6..

Hugo Silva hugo at barafranca.com
Fri May 19 19:06:59 PDT 2006

jekillen wrote:

> On May 19, 2006, at 10:00 AM, Hugo Silva wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I've been using FreeBSD on the desktop for several years now without
>> any major problems. However, as of lately, I've been running into a
>> very annoying problem. I'll try to explain:
>>
>> I play some OpenGL games on FreeBSD and have always played them
>> without trouble. However, now I can't play my game of election
>> (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory) for more than 20 or 30 minutes. The
>> same thing is happening over and over (and this is the weird part):
>>
>> The game will stop responding to most keys, and the ones that do
>> respond, output rubbish characters. The mouse dies. I can
>> CTRL-ALT-F1, login, and kill the game - the keyboard works on the
>> console!
>>
>> Then I get back to KDE (CTRL-ALT-F2). The keyboard is useless at this
>> point, as typing something will result in something else. The mouse
>> moves, but I can't maximise windows (seems to ignore double click)
>> and stuff. CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and logging in again solves the problem.
>>
>> Now, the only thing that I've changed in the last month was a new
>> piece of hardware - a Logitech G5 mouse (connected via USB). After
>> giving it some thought,  this problem started a few days after I
>> purchased the mouse. I can't see how this could be related to what is
>> happening with me, but it's the only thing I remind changing.
>>
>> I was running 6.0-RELEASE-p5, and have upgraded to 6.1-RELEASE and
>> xorg-6.9.0, kde-3.5.1, in the hopes that it would probably fix this.
>> Unfortunately, the situation remains.
>>
>> Has anyone experienced a similar problem at all ? I didn't even try
>> google as I have no idea of what I'm after..
>
> Sounds like some kind of buffer overrun problem, some memory
> allocation problem in the driver(?)
> JK

I thought about something like this too, but what I can't explain is why
it only started happening when I got the new mouse (and most likely
after the "usb0: host controller process error" error, altough I can't
say for sure - and if this was the cause, howcome it persists across
reboots? I never got the error anymore (ok.. maybe 1 time).).

There isn't a special driver for this mouse, and the previous one was
also detected as ums0 (a Logitech MX 700). I am 100% sure that I didn't
touch any configuration at all, anywhere, when this started to happen.

Thoughts, ideas, maybe someone who's been through the same, altough I
find it highly unlikely ?