hosts.allow and ssh problem

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Fri May 19 18:55:06 PDT 2006

Hello all;
I am trying to deny ftp access to my web site from out side. I have two
nics on the server and access it from the inside network via one and
serve to the public on the other.
I tried to write a rule in hosts.allow to deny ftp connections to the
public ip address which has worked. But a side effect is that I can now
not connect from local machines via
ssh. I reverted back to 'ALL : all ; allow'  to confirm that that was
in deed why ssh started refusing connections, as it now will accept
connections. I even ssh'd to one machine
and while in that shell, ssh'd to the server and got in to the server
via another machine on the local network.
I am concerned because I have had repeated attempts to login to the
server  over ftp from outside. I do all the development and posting
from local
network so there is no reason whatsoever for anyone from the out side
to get ftp access to my site.
How can I do this in hosts.allow?
A few nights ago I noticed odd activity on the router (leds going
bananas) so I did tcpdump on the server and saw a great deal of ftp
activity that didn't look right, from
foreign addresses. I shut the web server and the secondary dns server
down while I dug through Absolute FreeBSD to get some direction.
I can live with ssh refusing local connections but I don't think it
should be that way.
Thanks in advance;
JK