Sound died after an upgrade

David LeCount snailboy1 at yahoo.com
Fri May 19 16:50:38 PDT 2006

I was upgrading something in my ports tree (I can't
remember what now) when this problem arised. Any time
I try to play anything with audio, the player will
just freeze. It's not locked up, because I can stop
it. In XMMS for instance, I just hit the stop button.
But while it's playing, the time doesn't change, the
spectrum analyzer doesn't dance, there's no sound from
the speakers, etc. I unloaded and reloaded the kernel
module, but no luck. I have updated my ports tree and
recompiled everything except for a few programs that
have nothing to do with sound. I've also done the same
with my kernel and world. I can't pinpoint the problem
at all. I'm tired of using my laptop for sound, so if
anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.