ping on desktop

Andy Reitz reitz at eecs.cwru.edu
Thu May 18 10:49:10 PDT 2006

On Thu, 18 May 2006, Rodrigo Mufalani wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    I have a freeBSD 5.4, with squid, my desktop go to web via squid.
>
>    On the server, pinging 200.122.122.53 for example, its ok!!!
>
>     But , on my desktop, no answer.
>

> How to make my desktop, ping a puublic ip?

Hi Rodrigo,

Squid acts as an protocol-level proxy, allowing you to get traffic like
HTTP from your desktop to the Internet.

Ping utilizes the ICMP protocol, so you will need to run something on your
squid proxy that can work with this protocol.

NAT is a general solution that will work for all IP traffic[1]. If you
configure natd(8) on your squid server, you should be able to use tools
such as ping, and access the internet "directly", without going through a
proxy.

In order to setup and configure NAT on FreeBSD, please consult the
handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-natd.html

HTH,
	-Andy Reitz.

[1] Well, but "all" traffic, I really mean "most" traffic. :)