pppoe reliability

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Thu May 18 07:08:16 PDT 2006

On 5/18/06, Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass at teledomenet.gr> wrote:
> Enable echo so ppp will know when the other peer is down, and then will act
> as you tell it to. I think enabling echo and -ddial mode will be fine, no need of
> scripting, but anyways the recommended way of interacting with ppp(8) is
> pppctl(8).
>
> from ppp man:
>
>         -ddial
>              This mode is equivalent to -auto mode except that ppp will bring
>              the link back up any time it is dropped for any reason.
>
>          echo
>              Default: Disabled.  When this option is enabled, ppp will send
>              LCP ECHO requests to the peer at the frequency defined by
>              echoperiod''.  Note, LQR requests will supersede LCP ECHO
>              requests if enabled and negotiated.  See set lqrperiod'' below
>              for details.
>
>              Prior to ppp version 3.4.2, echo'' was considered enabled if
>              lqr was enabled and negotiated, otherwise it was considered dis-
>              abled.  For the same behaviour, it is now necessary to enable
>              lqr echo'' rather than just enable lqr''.

I'll try this, thanks.

I've noticed that when I drop ppp, the tun0 seems to hang on a bit. If
I restart too quickly, I get a tun1. The ifconfig command will not
permit me to destroy tun0 either, so I wait for a little while before
bringing it back up again.

Any idea why?

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. The help from this list makes all of the difference when deciding
which OS to use.
--Albert Einstein