ntpd as a server on 5.4 and 6.0 just doesn't seem to work

Freminlins freminlins at gmail.com
Thu May 18 03:20:22 PDT 2006

Hello,

I have this problem whereby I just cannot make ntpd work as a server on
FreeBSD 5.4 and 6.0. It works flawlessly on 4.6.2, which I'm still running
somewhere.

The contents of my ntpd.conf file are:
server ntp0.bris.ac.uk
server ntp.linx.net
restrict A.B.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 notrust nomodify notrap (munged).

statistics clockstats
statsdir /var/db/ntpd
filegen clockstats
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

I've even tried removing the "restritct" line but to no avail. ntpd runs,
but it doesn't actually return anything.  The response on any machine
querying this machine is "ntpdate[46934]: no server suitable for
synchronization found". The same command works for the older box running
4.6.2. I don't believe it is at all a hardware issue as I've had exactly the
same problem on another machine. I've looked at the handbook here  "
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-ntp.html"
but it doesn't seem to suggest I have done anything wrong.

Does anyone have a clue what the problem is? I'm just getting nowhere.
Traffic gets to the box (seen via tcpdump). Alas ntpd is not compiled with
-ddebug so the -d and -D options in the man page is moot.

Thanks,
Frem.