Gtk-Warning **: Cannot open display

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Tue May 16 13:40:27 PDT 2006

Barnaby Scott wrote:

> So, I installed Firefox from ports, having made sure everything was bang
> up to date. Evrything seemed to go perfectly well, but lo and behold,
> first attempt to use it and I get this:
>
> (firefox-bin:582): Gtk-Warning **: Cannot open display
>
> What the..?
>
> I have searched for this problem and found plenty of references similar
> error messages, but none of it seems to apply in my case. I am not
> trying to run Firefox as root, I am not doing it from a remote terminal,
> I am not standing in a bucket of water, I have the computer plugged in.

I think these are Good Things(tm), 'though I have been able to operate
a browser whilst standing in a bucket of water.

Q: Are you running an X display at the time this message is given,
or are you attempting to run Firefox from the console?

Kevin Kinsey

--
I THINK MAN INVENTED THE CAR by instinct.
		-- Jack Handley, The New Mexican, 1988.