newly installed apps not in path?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue May 16 02:03:10 PDT 2006

Danny Pansters wrote:

>On Monday 15 May 2006 22:36, Atom Powers wrote:
>

>>I've noticed this behavior since 4.3, but it's just now starting to
>>get really annoying.
>>
>>Whan I install a new application (from ports) I have to execute it
>>with the full path until I start a new shell. (in sh, tcsh, and bash)
>>
>>What causes this behavior, and how can I fix it (cause newly installed
>>apps to be executable without a full path)?
>>

>If you're using the [t]csh shell, you need to run 'rehash' to update your
>current path. It would be good if the post-everything part of ports would do
>that when needed.

It can't.  The rehash has to be executed within the context of your
current shell (it's a builtin) and the only place you have that is the
command line.  Any process you run (like make, portupgrade) has no
access to that context.

If you are not wedded to tcsh, then bash would do it for you; other
shells too, perhaps, but I can't say never having tried them.

--Alex