Upgrade 5.4 - 6.0 errors.

Ben Hacker Jr strbenjr at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 02:56:21 UTC 2006

Below is the instructions I followed which I copied from the current
/usr/src/UPDATING file.

Ben Hacker Jr wrote:

> I am following the instructions from /usr/src/UPGRADING
>
>         To upgrade in-place from 5.x-stable or higher to 6.x-stable
>         -----------------------------------------------------------
>         <make sure you have good level 0 dumps>
>         make buildworld                                 [9]
>         make kernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE           [8]
>                                                         [1]
>         <reboot in single user>                         [3]
>         mergemaster -p                                  [5]
>         make installworld
>         mergemaster -i                                  [4]
>         <reboot>
>
> I am still getting ...
>
> . . .

Should these instructions be modified/updated to be:

        To upgrade in-place from 5.x-stable or higher to 6.x-stable
        <make sure you have good level 0 dumps>
        make buildworld                                 [9]
        make buildkernel   KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE    [8]
        make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
                                                        [1]
        <reboot in single user>                         [3]
        mergemaster -p                                  [5]
        make installworld
        mergemaster -i                                  [4]
        <reboot>

I don't claim know enough about this to make instructions but after
booting into single user mode  (and I am sure after the <reboot>) I
found that I was still running my 5.4 kernel.

I decided to try "make installkernel" and reboot again which fixed the
version for me.

Just my two cents...