Has the port collection become to large to handle.

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon May 15 11:50:50 PDT 2006

fbsd wrote:
> The best indicator that the ports collection has become to large is
> that it took me 2 hours to download the complete port-all collection
> using A DSL internet connection. To compile the ports I use took
> another 11 hours. This is the reason I went to using packages in the
> first place.

And installing it from the same CD that you installed the OS from would
take about 1 minute.  If you choose a method to install the ports that
take several hours, should the FreeBSD folks take the blame for your
choice?  A 33.bKbps dialup connection should download the entire ports
collection in under 3 hours.  And DSL connection should do it in
significantly less time.  Even a 270Kbps down DSL connection should be
able to snatch the whole thing in just over 20 minutes.

If I had a dialup connection or the uncredibly slow DSL connection you
mention, I don't think I'd make the same choice that you made.  I'd
install from the CD.  Updating through cvs might take 45 minutes then.

> Downloading the complete port collection when I had a dial up
> connection would go maybe 35 min and them get suspended by the cvs
> site. I would rerun the job over and over again sometimes taking a
> week or better to finally get it completed. This makes the download
> of the complete port collect almost impossible for dial up users.

And yet, not once did you ever try to install from the CD?  Why would
you beat your head against the wall like that?

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer