FreeBSD-Update and 6.1

Matt Bostock matt at mattbostock.com
Mon May 15 05:23:38 PDT 2006

A couple of questions regarding FreeBSD-Update:

1. How do I update from 6.0-RELEASE to 6.1-RELEASE or 6-STABLE using
FreeBSD-Update? I've tried downloading the ISO and doing it that
way but 'uname' remains unchanged.
2. How does FreeBSD-Update know which branch to follow
(STABLE, CURRENT or RELEASE)?
3. I tried upgrading to 6.1 using the ISO method, and am getting this:

[root at xxxx root]freebsd-update fetch
Fetching updates signature...
Fetching hash list signature...
Examining local system...

The following files are affected by security
fixes, but have not been updated because they
have been modified locally:

/bin/rmail
/usr/bin/edit
/usr/bin/ee
/usr/bin/ree
/usr/bin/vacation
/usr/lib/libmilter.a
/usr/lib/libmilter.so.3
/usr/libexec/mail.local
/usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
/usr/libexec/smrsh
/usr/sbin/editmap
/usr/sbin/mailstats
/usr/sbin/makemap
/usr/sbin/praliases

No updates available

...AFAIK I haven't altered these files. How can I force
the update? I have a feeling this is related to
the above questions ;)

Many thanks,
Matt Bostock