Fatal Trap 10: trace trap while in vm86 mode, trying to boot install CD after menu

Peter G pg at eth1.com
Sun May 14 05:41:42 PDT 2006

For completeness sakes of the archives my solution
was:
to put the following in the /boot/loader.conf
it's the only way these machines will boot with
FreeBSD given their Serverworks chipsets.

hw.hasbrokenint12=1
hw.ata.ata_dma=0

If the previous is ommited after install (after the
CDROM is removed, we used a USB CDROM to load them
right on the racks) we'd get "Fatal Trap 12"

Previous exchange:

Curiosity question
All these blades have Serverworks chipset in them..
DO you recall if your gateways had that same chipset??

I am going to try when next i get a chance(at the
loader prompt):
set hw.hasbrokenint12=1
set hw.ata.ata_dma=0

because thsi exchange in the archives leads me to
believe it's a chipset specific problem:

http://groups.google.com/group/muc.lists.freebsd.stable/browse_frm/thread/bb3484c9f7a282/d7d619bf611e0f64?lnk=st&q=serverworks+install+group%

3A*freebsd*&rnum=5&hl=en#d7d619bf611e0f64

On these blades i am trying to install fr a USB CD
drive as the only options in the BiOS is boot fr USB
Floppy, USB CD, internal HD..