Has the port collection become to large to handle.

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Sat May 13 14:54:11 PDT 2006

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 02:28:49PM -0400, fbsd wrote:

> I for one think the port/package collection has already grown to
> large to handle in it's present state.

I suspect you are in the minority here.

> Users are consuming massive bandwidth to download and it
> consumes a very large chunk of disk space.

No, a snapshot of the ports tree is only about 30 Mb.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/

I think you'll find cvsup's bandwidth usage is pretty minimal.

Disk space is cheap.  The ports tree decompresses to about 210 Mb.
That's less than 0.01% of a modern ~$100 average-sized 80 Gb hard drive
supplied with most desktop PCs.

> Saying nothing about the wasted resources consumed to back it up
> repeatedly.

Unnecessary.