very slow boot (newbie)

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sat May 13 12:51:12 PDT 2006

Barnaby Scott wrote:
> Many thanks to all who have helped me on this one - I won't post a
> message in response to every suggestion, but they have all helped -
> thank you!
>
> It turns out it was sendmail causing the delay, so now my /etc/rc.comf
> reads:
>
> hostname="frankbruno"
> ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
> keymap="uk.iso"
> linux_enable="YES"
> moused_enable="YES"
> saver="logo"
> usbd_enable="YES"
> sendmail_enable="NONE"
>
> (Someone asked what was in this file). The last line that I have just
> added does cure the problem. But...
>
> ...it does not cure the problem for me if I decide that I do want
> sendmail! I could cross that bridge when I come to it, but I would
> prefer to gain some insight here if anyone can bear any more on this topic.
>
> Adding
> 127.0.0.1    frankbruno
> to /etc/hosts did not cure the problem. Could that be because the lookup
> that causes the delay is a reverse one? If so, it would be trying to
> find a name for 192.168.0.4 (I think that's the one I have been getting
> recently) which is still not in hosts.
>
> I would rather not mess with the IP allocation if possible - having it
> automatic is much more useful and means I cannot create condradictory
> records in different places.
>
> Looking in /var/run/dmesg.boot turned up nothing obvious to me at least,
> booting in Safe Mode made no difference, and verbose logging turned up
> nothing.
>
> However, I did discover a tip posted a couple of years ago, and that was
> to press ^T when the boot stalled. God knows what this does, but it
> turned up the following response:
>
> load: 0.85 cmd:sendmail 454 [kqread] 0.00u 0.01s 0% 1912k
>
> I thinks that answers all the things that were suggested - can anyone
> see a way of reinstating sendmail without the stalled boot process, and
> without having to reserve specific IP addresses for each computer?
>
> Barnaby Scott

Prequel:  I know nothing about dhclient/DHCP interfaces other
than if I want one, I can put "ifconfig foo1="DHCP" in rc.conf.

If you can figure out what your address is post-booting, you
should be able to create a simple wrapper script and run it from
cron via the "@reboot" tag.

Pseudo-code:
    sleep(5 min);
    write "my.ip.ad.ress" >> /etc/hosts
    sh /etc/rc.d/sendmail start

But, I'd strongly advise you to use a static IP if your
host needs to be an MTA.  Otherwise, configure your MUA's
to use a real MTA (which have static IP's, DNS, etc., etc.).

Kevin Kinsey

--
I didn't get sophisticated -- I just got tired.
But maybe that's what sophisticated is -- being tired.