Pros and Cons of running under inetd....

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Sat May 13 03:24:48 PDT 2006

On 12 May Eric Schuele wrote:
> Derek Ragona wrote:
> >Yes it is still true today.  The default system now has inetd running
> >nothing.  And the ports now install rc scripts for these reasons.
>
> Not arguing here... everything I've found on the web says something
> similar.
>
> But why do we have inetd?  I assume it solved a problem in the past,
> that no longer exists.  Not to mention its spotted security history.
>
> >For network daemons, when they are running in a listen mode there is
> >no real overhead on the system.

OK, I run inetd for just these two services:

#
# FAM: File Alteration Monitor [devel/fam]
sgi_fam/1-2	stream rpc/tcp wait root /usr/local/bin/fam fam
#
# an appropriate block rule to your pf.conf
#
ftp-proxy stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/ftp-proxy	ftp-proxy

If inetd is a security risk how can I change these things to work
without inetd? As I understand thare is no other way, but I'm very keen
on learning ;-)

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 ++ The Power to Serve