Reducing the size of /

pauls at utdallas.edu pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri May 12 14:35:31 PDT 2006

--On May 12, 2006 12:36:52 PM -0400 John Nielsen <lists at jnielsen.net> wrote:

> On Friday 12 May 2006 12:28, bsd wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> Most of the files that are "large" seems to be located in /usr/ports/
>> distfiles/
>>
>> What will be the effect of deleting some of these files ?
>
> You will have to download them again if you rebuild / reinstall the
> packages  that use them.  Of course, that happens automatically and
> there's a good  chance that you'll need a new version next time you
> update your installed  ports, so go ahead and delete them, especially if
> you have a good Internet  connection.

And when you install a port, use "make install distclean".  That will
remove the work directories *and* the distfiles after the port was
installed.

But, if I were you, I'd backup the box and rebuild with a more sensible
partition arrangement.

For example, you have 65G of disk space.  You could do something likes this:
/ 500MB
swap 2G
/tmp 2G
/usr 20G