Upgrading from 6.0 to 6.1

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Fri May 12 13:38:25 PDT 2006

I have done both the binary upgrade and cvsup'd many times.  Which is
better depends on your time and what version you are moving from and
to.  If you do a binary upgrade, you will only be at the  release of the
version, say 6.1, but with any current security releases.  I typically
upgrade a system to the base release using a binary upgrade, then will
cvsup then build world, etc. to have it be current.

         -Derek

At 12:15 PM 5/12/2006, jeff.cross at averageadmins.com wrote:
>This has possibly been discussed a number of times, and if it has, I
>apologize.  Here is my situation:
>
>I would like to upgrade my existing 6.0-SECURITY system to 6.1-RELEASE
>and continue using freebsd-update to keep my system on the up and up.
>I read through the upgrade instructions on disk #1 of the 6.1 release
>CD and wondered if that would be the easiest way to upgrade?
>
> From what I read, all of the configuration files for 6.1 would be in
>the /etc/upgrade folder.  Would they have to stay there?  Would 6.1,
>from this point forward, always have the /etc folder in /etc/upgrade?
>Do I copy new pieces back to /etc for the production system?  I read
>about merging but does it merge from /etc to /etc/upgrade?
>
>Is another scenario to do the cvsup method and go that route?  If I
>did, would I be able to use freebsd-update from that point forward or
>would I be limited to only using the cvsup method?
>
>I know both require merging config files and what not, which makes me
>a little nervous, but I would like the easiest method available.  I
>love using FreeBSD and use it primarily on my laptop so compiling the
>entire OS on there may take a while so obviously the binary upgrade
>looks good.  I am just unsure about the /etc/upgrade folder and how I
>get all of that back to /etc.
>
>I am somewhat a "noobert" in FreeBSD... I have been using it for less
>than a year and really enjoy it over my past Linux experiences.
>However, things like this make me nervous.  This is my first upgrade
>of a machine I use *all* the time.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Jeff Cross
>http://www.averageadmins.com/