very slow boot (newbie)

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Fri May 12 11:15:22 PDT 2006

Daniel Bye <freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 04:21:09PM +0100, Barnaby Scott wrote:
> > >The fact that the operating system knows what the machine is called,
> > >does not necessarily mean that the name is in the DNS.  You can put an
> > >entry in your /etc/hosts file (take a look at the file for the format),
> > >which will allow sendmail and other daemons to start.
> >
> > OK, I looked in /etc/hosts and only 127.0.0.1 localhost appears there.
> > How do I put another entry in here though, when I don't know in advance
> > the IP address that will be allocated to this machine by the DHCP server
> > (provided by my router)? The odd thing is that the system knows exactly
> > what IP address has been assigned, because I can see that transaction
> > taking place during the boot sequence long before the point where it
> > stalls.

Make an entry in /etc/hosts similar to:
127.0.0.1	hostname hostname.domain.com

(Only substitute your actual host and domain names)

Unless you reconfigure something, the resolver always checks /etc/hosts
first.  Thus the DNS timeouts will never occur as the system will find
its hostname.

Not that, in my experience, it's important to put _both_ the short name
and the FQDN in.

--
Bill Moran

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

	Jayne Cobb