Upgrading 6.0 to 6.1 with etcmerge

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Fri May 12 09:38:08 PDT 2006

I've got a few 6.0-RELEASE machines I want to bring up to date.  I want to use
etcmerge because mergemaster scares the bejesus out of me.

I can create a copy of the standard 6.0-REL /etc using mergemaster, and
copying /var/tmp/temproot/src to /var/db/src, that's no problem

But I notice /usr/src/UPDATING contains the following:

  20060204:
    The 'audit' group was added to support the new auditing functionality
    in the base system.  Be sure to follow the directions for updating,
    including the requirement to run mergemaster -p.

So I figure after rebooting into single user mode and installing the new
world, I have to take an extra step?  I never figured out how to deal with
the binary password db with etc merge, and I can't see anything in the man
page.

I hope someone can clear it up.  I assume etcmerge is widely used, but it's
not been updated (significantly) for so long I'm not sure.  (Personally I
think it should be in the  base system!)

Thanks
Ashley

--
"If you do it the stupid way, you will have to do it again"
  - Gregory Chudnovsky