Upgrading

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri May 12 07:47:05 PDT 2006

Grant Peel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have had complete success with upgrading 6.0 to 6.1rc1 and finally, 6.1
> RELEASE.
>
> Sorry about asking a question that I am sure has been asked once befor ....
>
> Can I upgrade a 4.4, 4.7, 4.10, 5.2.1 boxes the same way using CVSup i.e
> directly from one of those to 6.1R?

Some of those, in fact, *most*, are a pretty big jump.  Also,
IIRC, all ports needs to be updated.

In particular, it's a big jump from 4.X to 5.X; IIRC, you need
to do some special magic from 4.11 to 5.X.  After that, I'd wanna
get to about 5.3/5.4 or so before jumping to 6.1.

Then there's the filesystem issue.  If you go from 4.X to 6.X
directly by means of 2 or more cvsup/buildworld cycles, you can't
reformat your disks and use UFS2.

Kevin Kinsey

> P.S. I keep complete backups ...

Good!