Changing from 6.0 to 6.1 ->"'.' to end pause mode"

Howard Jones howie at thingy.com
Fri May 12 07:08:56 PDT 2006

I've been experimenting with PXE-driven installations in preparation for
the arrival of a pile of new servers, and I had a mostly-working setup
for FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE when 6.1 was announced this week.

I've upgraded to 6.1 on my build system, and have it serving install
data and an mfsroot with my own install.cfg in it. It all works fine
except that after the target system reboots, and apparently every time
it boots, I get this:
   "<pause; press any key to proceed to next line or '.' to end pause mode>"
and have to press . to start the boot process proper.

Has something changed in the console? The same system was fine with
6.0-RELEASE. One other possibly relevant thing is that my install script
does set /boot.config to contain '-p'. Has something happened with
keyboard detection that would make the pause mode come on? It seems that
this pause mode has been in the console code for a while, although I
didn't know about it until now.

Thanks in advance for any light anyone can shed...

Howie