ASUS WL-167G config (was ural driver, Belkin F5D7050 USB not working)...

Rakesh Prajapati rprajapa at yahoo.com
Thu May 11 13:50:57 PDT 2006

FYI

My Asus WL-167G wireless adapter works out of the box without any settings when I installed FreeBSD 6.1 RELEASE. The installer recognized it and I was  able to configure it through DHCP effortlessly. Maybe it would have worked in 6.0 If I did a fresh install or tried sysinstall.

FreeBSD 6.1 ROCKS!!!!

Harrison Peter CSA BIRKENHEAD <PETER.HARRISON at DWP.GSI.GOV.UK> wrote: >Thanks for the reply.

>I bought the same Asus WL-167G recently looking at other posts on the internet but I am >unable to get it work.
>
>It shows up in ifconfig and then when I try to connect to the router it simply does not >work.
>I run the following command
>
>ifconfig ural0 inet 192.168.0.20 netmask 0xffffff00 ssid DRAGON (my ssid)ifconfig -a shows as "NO CARRIER" but once it showed as "associated" buteven then it did not work (i >tried accessesing the net).My router is not configured for Encryption or anything. I >control securityby the Mac Address of the wireless device.IF you have a step by step >instructions on how to make it work that will be great.I havent spent a whole lot of time >trying to make it work either, so if you have theinstructions handy then its good or >else I will keep trying, shouldnt be
> thatdifficult.Thanks,Rakesh

Rakesh,

You may have this sorted by now, but just in case...

The good news is that you have the ural0 device, so now it's just a matter of configuration.

Without encryption the only other thing I needed to specify to ifconfig was the channel (check the settings on your router for the channel number):

eg. ifconfig ural0 inet 192.168.0.20 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid DRAGON channel 1

and I was on the network.

If that doesn't work, check the settings on your router - have you added the MAC address to the filter list, and are you sure WEP/WPA is turned off, are you in range of the router?

Take a look at this article for info on wireless setup:

http://www.freebsdmall.com/~loader/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/wireless/article.html

Let me know how you get on.

By the way, most people would probably prefer you not to email in HTML - you're likely to get a quicker (or any) response if you don't - and copy the list into your replies.

Peter Harrison.

This document is strictly confidential and is intended only for use by the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or other
action taken in reliance of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of the Department
for Work and Pensions.
If you have received this transmission in error, please use the reply function to tell us
and then permanently delete what you have received.
Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance
with our policy on the use of electronic communications.

(__)
 ~~| BSD | *
      |_|~|_|

If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything.
-A. L.