Copying a file system w/ tar - symbolic links not copied right.

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu May 11 10:54:42 PDT 2006

Olivier Nicole wrote:
>>  I'm trying to move a file system from one disk to another, and when I do
>> this:
>
> I think that the way to go is:
>
> tar cf - /source/* | ( cd /destination && tar xfvBp - )
>
> Note the Bp at the end of the extract tar.
>
> olivier

Is that for BSD tar, or gtar (GNU)?  We still haven't decided
which is offering the problem, and I don't find "-B"
described in bsdtar(1), although I can see why you'd want
it in gtar, perhaps.

Nonetheless, the tests I made with both tars didn't seem
to have this problem.  Can Don confirm whether this only occurs
if /source/ is a filesystem mount point?  (Also, which tar
are you using?

KDK

--
Computer programs expand so as to fill the core available.