I2O vs. Mass Storage Modes on Dell Perc Controller

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed May 10 23:55:40 PDT 2006

On May 10, 2006, at 11:57 PM, Questions wrote:

> I just installed 6.1 on a Dell PowerEdge 1850 and the RAID adapter was
> initially set for Mass Storage mode.  I read that I2O mode is a better
> mode, so I flipped it to I2O, and the machine booted fine.  For some
> reason this confuses me.  I would assume that my changing the
> emulation of the RAID Adapter would cause the machine to no longer
> boot.  Am I wrong in this assumption and switching between emulation
> modes should not affect booting?

Disclaimer:  I probably don't know what I am talking about and am not
familiar with the various modes of the Dell RAID controller etc.

Why would you expect it to affect booting?  I suspect that the
machines BIOS makes the RAID available no matter what the mode and
that the boot happens on the "bios" disk (through a "bios" interface).

Again, this is not my area of knowledge but that is what I am guessing.

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider